25 87 6 3
According to Healthline, Americans spend billions of dollars on teeth whitening; this number also includes at-home whitening kits. A known fact is that most whitening products use bleaching agents for the teeth whitening process. Some of these chemicals do raise concerns with consumers.
There are numerous causes as to why your teeth may lose their sparkle and shine.
Some of these factors may include:
Plaque and bacteria build-up
Certain foods that you may eat
Medications (especially antibiotics)
If you want a bright white smile, but don’t want the added chemicals; these methods are proven safe, natural, and above all inexpensive.
1) Coconut Oil– Coconut oil is one of the most popular choices amongst users because of its taste and health benefits. Coconut oil also contains lauric acid. Lauric acid is an amino acid that is known for reducing inflammation and killing bacteria. To use this oil as a whitening agent, swish the oil in your mouth for about 20 minutes and spit the oil into the trash. (NOTE: You want to spit the oil in the trash vs. the sink because the oil will build up into your pipes and cause clogs)
2) Apple Cider Vinegar – Apple cider vinegar is one of the oldest natural disinfectants on the market. Due to the high acidic levels in vinegar, this method should not be used daily and not stay in contact with your teeth for long periods of time. To use as a mouthwash dilute the vinegar with water and swoosh around your mouth for a few minutes. Make sure you rinse your mouth with water to remove any excess vinegar. This will help prevent any erosion that may arise from using this product.
3) Baking Soda – Baking soda is a popular ingredient in most toothpaste. It is a mild abrasive that will scrub away any surface stains on your teeth. You can also make your own paste with this product by adding 2 teaspoons of water to 1 teaspoon of baking soda. You can use this method a few times a week to reduce bacteria and any surface stains that you may get.
4) Hydrogen Peroxide – Hydrogen peroxide is a natural bleaching agent that kills bacteria in the mouth. There are many concerns that have arisen with the use of Hydrogen Peroxide. The biggest concern is that hydrogen peroxide can cause cancer in high doses. Here is a little-known fact the peroxide that is sold in drugstores have only 3% at most inside the whole bottle the rest is water. But to be safe always dilute with water to avoid any excessive levels.
To properly prevent stains and bacteria from resurfacing in the mouth it is important to:
1) Limit Drinks That Stain Your Teeth – Coffee, red wine, and soda are the beverages that will stain your teeth the most. Do you have to avoid them completely? To minimize staining of your teeth tries using a straw whenever possible. It is also very beneficial to brush your teeth after you consume these beverages to keep the stains at bay.
2) Limit Your Sugar Intake – Diets that are high in sugar will increase bacteria in the mouth. It is strongly suggested after you eat a sugary snack or drink a sugary beverage that you brush your teeth afterward.
3) Increase Your Daily Calcium Intake – When you take in high, healthy levels of calcium in your body; it will decrease erosion of the teeth and reduce any dentin from exposing. Dentin is underneath your teeth and it is naturally yellow.
4) Always Brush and Floss regularly – Regular flossing reduces bacteria in the mouth and preventing any future plaque build-up. Brushing removes any stains in your teeth. When they are both used in conjunction with each other, your teeth will be brighter and whiter. Not to mention your breath will be fresher.
The goal of a brighter, whiter smile is now within reach. You can safely and effectively whiten your teeth without harsh chemicals and breaking the bank with these at home remedies mentioned above.